Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chapter 19: Recovering

"Allegra? Are you okay?" Kain asked, gazing at me with concern as my eyes glazed over with sadness, tears dripping onto my cheeks. "Is there something I can do for you? Do you want me to leave? Or..." he trailed off, unsure what I would want. But to have him leave? Why on earth would I want him to leave? That's just plain ridiculous!! I just got him back...I don't wanna lose him.

I shook my head, wiping at the traitorous tears. "No. I'm fine. Please stay. I'm just...I'm fine, really."

"Does your wounds hurt? I still want to know how the hell she got those," he added, deliberately looking at Micah who nodded and turned to do some more tests.

I shook my head again. "No, I'm fine. It looks worse than it really is, Kain. It doesn't hurt at all, actually." I laid my hand on top of my stomach, gently patting the wounds that were really only a tiny bit sore. It simply feels like I've done way too many sit ups and crunches and my muscles are straining to keep up with me.

He nodded. "I'm glad. Now, I'm not going to force you to remember your dream...but do you remember anything before you fell asleep? Anything at all?"

I thought about it for a moment, uncertain what that feeling was, and how to exactly explain it. "Well, um, yeah. Before I went to bed...um...I don't know how to describe it..."

Kain took a seat, bumping my hip only a little bit, while laying a hand on my shoulder. "Just do your best."

I nodded, smiling and resting my hand on top of his. "Well...before I fell asleep it almost felt like I wasn't breathing. My heart wasn't beating, at least that's how it felt. I might have actually been breathing and what-not. But, it was almost like I was so exhausted that I could've slipped into death."

Kain shuddered, which meant he at least understood what I was talking about. "I see. Why didn't you call for someone?"

I shrugged. "That's the thing. I couldn't move, or speak. I couldn't do anything except lay there and fall into a slumber worthy for death. That probably makes no sense. Sorry." I looked away sheepishly, biting my lip. God, this was so awkward. I'm the only girl in a house full of very attractive boys. I mean, there's Lianna but she always keeps to herself, and doubt she always ends up half naked. Especially in front of someone she's grown up with forever.

Kain was just about to speak when Dante cut him off. "Actually, Allegra, it makes perfect sense. I've heard some cases where witches can get visions exactly like how you described. Though..." His eyes narrowed as he leaned toward me, sniffing the air next to my ear.

"What are you doing?" I asked, confused. Why on earth is he smelling me? I probably smell like nothing but blood and sweat. Very gross. As wrong as it is to think about this right at this moment, I really need to take a shower.

Kain's hand tightened on my shoulder, trying to give me some reassurance. "It's okay, Allegra. He's just...sensing." He smiled at me, making me flash back to when he was alive. Damn. I miss those times. Right now is how we used to be...and I really hope he doesn't--

"Well," Dante started, staring at me with confused, "she appears human. Smells human. But...for just an instant I thought I smelt witch. How is that?" He mumbled something else under his breath, but I couldn't hear what.

Kain and I exchanged glances, then shrugged. Why would he smell witch in my blood? I know that I'm not a witch. If I were I would have went back to save my family, to save Kain. I wouldn't have just sat there alone, sobbing for years and years in my sleep.

Kain and Dante looked at me questioningly. They'd obviously already decided that I'd be the only one to know if I were a witch or not. "Why are you guys looking at me? I don't know why you'd smell witch on me, if that's what you're thinking."

Dante and Kain exchanged glances, then nodded.

>>Time Skip<<

For a long time I was stuck in bed, my wounds refusing to heal quickly. It was almost too hard to just stay seated...my body wanted to move, to do something, but it was physically unable. Micah would have to give me a potion to put me to sleep in order to do anything, and even then I was restless. My dreams would be of nothing except swirling lights and mists, shades of light purple and reds. It wasn't easy to dream, but it was my only escape.

But, now, thanks to Micah's healing serums I was healed, able to move around and do things that I wished...and yet my mind was unsure of what my body wanted. It was almost as if my spirit needed to figure out what happened to me, but didn't know how, or where to start. Research seemed the most reasonable, but until I actually went there to look, I wouldn't know what to search for. I needed to go to a library.


Luckily the mansion I was held kidnapped in had a library, I suppose it would be Micah's, seeing as he's the only one who would take use of it...well, until I came along.

"Dammit all. Why can't I find what I'm looking for?" I was positioned in front the fourth library case, the one against the eastern wall. The section was labeled "Witch's Tale" and for some reason I was drawn toward it. I wasn't sure if it was because Dante had mentioned that word before, or if my spirit was actually drawn toward it.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" A warm, soft breath swirled around my ear as I registered the voice. It should have made me jump with surprise, but my senses had been heightened ever since I had that dream. My entire body was wired as if I'd drunk gallons and gallons of energy drinks and the starkest coffee. Nothing surprised me anymore, and nothing would until I figured this all out.

I smiled as I turned toward Micah, who was gazing at me with this sort of appreciative appeal. "Oh, hey, Micah. I didn't hear you come in."

"Did I frighten you?" he wondered, his eyes glazing over with a sort of worried sense, along with amusement. Did he suppose that he could show off his manly--non-nerdy--side by scaring me? Or is that just the stark humor a fallen angel would come by?

I shook my head. "No. Just sort of surprised me." A lie, of course. As ashamed I would've felt before for lying to an angel, I was all too aware that this man was not an angel, but just as lovely.

My heart heaved with a sense of belonging. Was this what I was longing to know? The exact purpose of how he fell from heaven? Or was my mind playing tricks on me? Why would it all activate the second that I have the vision/dream?

As I stared into his beautiful gold eyes, I realized that it wasn't the reason, but something I desperately wanted to know. That I had to know before going on with anything else...the problem is that I couldn't demand that he tell me. Asking would work definitely.

"Hey, Micah?" I asked.

"Yeah?" He trailed a hand up to my face, grazing my cheeks down to my neck, before resting on my shoulder. "What is it, Allegra?"

"Can I ask you something?" I ignored the way he was touching me. He was probably just checking for a fever or something. Who knows except for him?

He smiled wider, happily. "Sure, anything. I'd do anything for you, Allegra. You know that."

I smiled, appreciatively. "Thanks. Um, if you don't mind me asking, can you maybe tell me how you became a fallen angel?"

He tensed, his smile faltering. His expression suddenly became troubled. He tried to keep it cool, but I could tell that he was having trouble even thinking about it.

After a strange moment of silence, I smiled, grabbing his hand. "That's okay. You don't have to tell me. I was just sort of curious."

He shrugged, giving me this apologetic look. "Sorry, Allegra. It's just not something I can talk much about."

I intertwined my fingers through his, lifting up on my toes to kiss his cheek, and watched as his face turned bright red. "That's okay. Really. But, in that case, I think I would like your help."

>>Another Time Skip<<
"Allegra! Allegra! Alllllegra!" two identical voices bellowed as they trampled into my room. They plopped themselves on the desk that Micah made magically appear in my room. That's where I sat, looking over a couple books that Micah had helped me find in the library.

"Are you feeling better?" Ari asked, leaning in so that he was only inches from my face. "I mean, I know it's been awhile since then, but Dante and Kain told me that we should stay away fro awhile."

I nodded. "So, that's why you guys left?"

Ash shrugged. "Well, it was that, and mom sent for us. We had a loooong celebration to attend. Father was demanding we come. There were many beautiful women there." He smiled at me, then turned his head so as to pretend that he didn't care if I reacted or not.

And I didn't. "Celebration? That lasted two weeks?"

Ari nodded. "Yeah! Our sister married the neighboring nation and so Father wanted us to mingle with the other Princesses. It was a big thing. We partied the whole time, no sleep at all! I'm pretty tired now, though." He leaned his forehead against mine, eyes closing, his breath coming out in a sort of tiresome relief. "And the whole time I was so worried about you."

"I was worried, too, you know. I was just having too much fun with all the beautiful women to think about it. God, they were all so fun. Who did I have the most fun with Emiline? Zara? Or was it Jackolyn? Hmm." Ash was still being completely "oblivious" of me being here. I knew what he was trying to do, though. I knew.

Ari chuckled. "Ignore him, love. He's being an ass. Just tell me. What did Micah say? When I saw you there with all that blood coming off of you...I almost died." He trailed his hands from my shoulder to my waist. "My soul almost shattered."

"Maybe Darby? Dacy? No...it was Marcia! No...it wasn't her. She was the least fun. Come to think of it, they weren't all that much fun," Ash continued on.

I smiled at Ari, though completely dramatic, he was probably the only one who wasn't playing--

Spoke too soon, I thought as I felt Ari's hand moving further down my body to my butt. Once there, he stroked it.

"Damn, perverts! Leave Allegra alone! Don't you see she's busy?" Dante busted into the room then, flying toward us so face, and snatching the two boys by the scruff of their necks so hard I could actually hear the blood underneath about to burst. "We told you that you were to leave her alone until she approached you guys! She's hurt, you know!"

I stood, facing them. A sort of twitch emerged by my right eyes because of irritation. "Dante, it's fine. Really. I'm not hurt anymore. You know that." I gathered up the notes and books I was reading and walked past them. "Now, if you don't mind, I'll be outside. Finishing my notes."

Before I left I heard Ash's smart remark. "Well, see what you did Dante? You pissed her off!"

"Me? Ari's the one who was stroking her bottom!" Dante accused.

"Me?! Ash was the one naming off girls who he hooked up with at the party!"

"Me?! Huh! It is my fault! She's jealous! I must go to her and shower her in all my affections!" I heard a loud crash, then an, "Ow, Dante! That hurt!"

All I could do was smile, glad that things were returning to normal each and every day.



>>>Author's Note<<<

Hey, guys! It's me! Well, I am just wondering who you like more in the story so far or if you can send me any ideas at all. I'd really appreciate it. I mean, you guys are lucky I could do this one. I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!

--Love Lots, KatLyn

No comments:

Post a Comment